Aug 092012
 
Swansea City star Joe Allen scores against Wolves

Joe Allen could be saying goodbye to the Swans

Swansea City were staying silent last night amid strong suggestions on Merseyside an improved bid from Liverpool had been made for Joe Allen –  meeting the £15m clause that would trigger the 22-year-old’s exit for Anfield and a reunion with Brendan Rodgers.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins was unavailable for comment when contacted by the WalesOnline for confirmation last night, although the club’s stance has long been that they have no intention of letting the Wales star go.

Nevertheless, there is a growing sense at the Liberty that it could be a matter of time before former boss Rodgers makes a renewed push for the playmaker who returned to training yesterday following Olympic duty.

Manager Laudrup stated earlier in the week he wanted a quick resolution to the saga as he plots for the new campaign, with Jonathan de Guzman a potential replacement for Allen in the midfield for the season opener at QPR.

article_mpuAdvertisement

The Dutchman featured alongside Leon Britton and £2m signing Michu in midfield against Blackpool on Tuesday night as Laudrup begins to put his stamp on the Swansea starting XI.

Michu bagged his first goal for Laudrup’s side in the 4-2 victory, meaning all of Swansea’s new signings have opened their accounts for the Swans in pre-season.

“It’s a good balance to the midfield,” said de Guzman, signed on a season-long loan from Villarreal.

“Leon holds the back very well and he’s a connecting player. With the creativity from Michu, who brings others into the game, you look for your chances to move forward.

“I’m a bit more attacking and we do well as a group.

“We’ve been playing well, particularly in the first half against Blackpool where we were creating chances for the wingers and Danny Graham.

“It looked like it was working pretty well. There’s still a lot to work on and hopefully we’ll be ready for QPR.”

Laudrup is due to sit down for talks with Allen this week as he looks to bring an end to the on-going transfer speculation.

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Mark Davies is being lined up as a replacement should they lose the Wales international to Liverpool.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has confirmed the interest in 24-year-old Davies and an initial bid of around £4m is believed to have been turned down by Bolton.

There is unlikely to be any further movement until Allen’s future at the Liberty is sorted, but Swansea are keen to avoid losing the player without enough time to bring in a suitable replacement.

Olympic duo Scott Sinclair and Neil Taylor also returned to training for the first time yesterday with Sinclair continuing to be linked with Premier League champions Manchester City.

Sinclair is also due to meet with Swansea chiefs this week as they look to tie him down to a new long-term contract. Jenkins has previously said he will not allow the £8m-rated winger to run down his contract, which has just 12 months to go, and he will be sold if no deal can be reached.

Swansea have also confirmed they are close to completing the season-long loan signing of Israel international Itay Shechter from Kaiserslautern.

As revealed by the Western Mail yesterday, he has been in Swansea for talks over the last two days and will join Laudrup’s squad once the club have obtained a work permit for the 25-year-old, who has 13 caps for his country.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)